Subhashini studied dance under the tutelage of Sri. V.P. Dhananjayan and Smt. Shanta Dhananjayan, famously known as The Dhananjayans, at their Bharata Kalanjali school of dance.
Subhashini learned dance, choreographed and performed in various productions, and also taught at the school. She owes much of her love of dance to her gurus. The Dhananjayans instilled a passion and drive for perfection in her that she cherishes to date. Subhashini wishes to carry forward their legacy through Natya Shubam Dance Academy.[/column_content]
Sri V.P. Dhananjayan and Smt Shanta Dhananjayan are disciples of the legendary Rukmimi Devi Arundale of Kalakshetra. They founded Bharatha Kalanjali in 1968. Since then, countless talented artistes have emerged from their institution, and they in turn continue to impart what they have learnt to their students in different parts of the world.
Just some of the awards and recognition the Dhananjayans have earned over their long and illustious careers are below:[unordered_list style=”list-6″]
- Kalaimamani from Government of Tamizhnaadu
- The Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
- The Fellowship of the Kerala Sangeeta Nataka Academy
- The Nrithya Choodamani of Sri Krishna Gana Sabha
- Madras Music Academy’s Sangeeta Kala Acharya
- Swathi Puraskar from the Malayalee Club
- The World Peace Award from the Chinmoy Foundation of USA
- GD Birla International recognition for outstanding contribution to Bhaarateeya (Indian) Art & Culture, awarded by the Vice President of India
- Honorary Doctorate from the Vel’s University (Chennai), conferred by the former President of India, Dr. Abdul Kalaam, for Sri V.P. Dhananjayan’s contribution to the preservation, protection and popularization of Bharatanatyam around the globe
- The Padma Bhushan, received in 2009 from the former President of India, Pratibha Patil; their crowning glory.